The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON has stated that despite the increase of about $313 (N141, 476) to the cost of this year’s Hajj, the commission will not ask intending pilgrims to make additional payments.
NAHCON Chairman, Zikirullah Kunle Hassan while giving his opening remarks at a one-day workshop for Hajj officials organized by the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, holding at the Hajj House in Abuja on Saturday said following the outbreak of conflict in Sudan and the closure of its airspace, the four Nigerian airlines chosen for Hajj 2023 has asked the commission for additional $250 per pilgrim’s flight ticket.
Alhaji Hassan also said that the commission had “while capturing date on May 6th realised that there are two additional service charge of $63 from Saudi Arabia which was not captured during earlier negotiations ahead of the announcement of final fare.
He said NAHCON had already written to the Ministry of Hajj, calling its attention to the increase, adding, “we are hoping for a positive response”.
The NAHCON boss further said the commission “has decided not to add this burden on our intending pilgrims “.
Alhaji Hassan said NAHCON is now a self-sustainable entity which does not enjoy government sponsorship, instead he says, the commission generates revenue for the government.
“Hajj is solely run from. NAHCON purse,” Alhaji Hassan said.